Code of Ethics for Skaters
The following rules and regulations have been made to make skating more enjoyable, not just for yourself, but for other skaters you share the ice with. They were developed with safety in mind. Skaters who do not abide by these rules may receive a verbal and/or written warning by the Board. Failure to comply with these rules may result in the suspension of membership privileges.
- Glass containers, food, candy or gum are not permitted on the ice at any time
- Get up immediately after a fall
- No sitting on the boards
- Avoid using hair pins or clips that may fall on the ice
- Skaters must yield right of way to coaches, to skaters in lessons and to those skating their solo program at all times
- Skaters must try to be aware of dance, solo, and skill patterns so that interruptions and collisions can be avoided
- Avoid standing in the middle of the ice to talk
- Skaters should not interrupt coaches while they are teaching a lesson unless it is an emergency
- Guest skaters are to be treated with respect and as a member of the club
- Guest skaters must report to the Music Room attendant prior to skating
- Guest skating fees must be paid prior to skating
- Negative talk about skaters, coaches, or parents will not be tolerated
- Foul or inappropriate language will not be tolerated
- Disciplines must be skated during their allotted time unless in a lesson
- Music will be played as per the music room protocol. Requests will be considered only after the coaches' requests have been honoured
- Dressing rooms are to be kept clean. Garbage and recyclables are to be placed in the appropriate containers
These rules apply when attending practices and competitions outside the club. If you have concerns regarding a skater's behaviour, please approach your skater's coach. The coach will then approach that skater's coach in a respectable manner. If the behaviour persists, advise the Board in writing about your concern.
This Code of Ethics for the Shallow Lake Skating Club has been revised and adapted from the Owen Sound Skating Club.